Friday, August 22, 2008

The Taper to 100k


I've arrived in Syracuse with no major problems. I flew into Buffalo because it was several hundred dollars cheaper than flying directly here. My flight was about an hour late into Buffalo, but that was not a problem. I still got here before 7 local time.

My training has been going well. I ran 30 miles this weekend. Twenty on Saturday, 11 on roads and 9 on trails, a new trail to me, my first run at Arcadia lake. I like this trail, but it is a long way from where I live. Sunday I ran a fairly easy 10 miles at Earlywine park. This is a 1 1/2 mile track. I ran a hard quarter during every loop, but otherwise I just ran to keep my heart rate under 135. This week I've only run 8 miles. I ran 4 on Tue easy, then ran 4 Thur. 1 easy and 2 at 8:30 and the last one at 7:30. I won't run anymore before the race.

I'm a little nervous about this run since it will be my longest ever, but I do feel like I'm in condition for the race. It looks like it will be a bit warmer than I'd like but I'll just adapt as the conditions dictate. This race has a 14 hour cutoff. That's not a blistering pace, but you can't take it too leisurely either.

Good luck to everyone running tomorrow in the Run with the Bulls or any other races. I'll be checking the results.

Should you care to follow me they have a link and say they will update the splits in real time. To remind you, this will be 8 loops around a 12.5k (7.77 miles) trail.



For a description of the course, go here:



Hope to be giving you a race report Sunday evening.


Hasta el domingo

3 comments:

Willie said...

Good luck, I know you will do great. I can't wait to hear about it. 100K! Wow. I feel good just knowing someone who attempted that distance. Try to have fun in NY and we'll see you when you get back.

Adi said...

Good luck M! I'm looking forward to your report.

p.s. You were definitely missed at the race today.

DawnB said...

I hope it all went well for you I look forward to your race report