Sunday, February 1, 2009

Weather induced taper


We had an ice storm come through on Monday. For those who've never experienced one, it is worse than snow, worse than sleet, and much worse than rain. Basically it's rain that freezes on everything it touches. On top of that, my father had to go to the hospital that day. The storm was just coming in, and I felt it was ok to drive my mother to the hospital. He is out now, but still having issues.
When the storm came in, I decided not to try to run. I have "Yak Trax" but also knew that it was time to taper for my run next Saturday (Feb. 7). Also, I have already run more miles in one week (75) and one month (232) this January than I have ever run before even with not running for 5 days this week. I did run Saturday with the Marathon training group. We did 10 miles around Lake Hefner. I warmed up about a mile before the group started. I did this because I wanted this to be a tempo run of sub 8:30 for all 10. I hooked up with a friend that I knew could pull me along at that pace or lower. It ended up lower. We averaged 8:06 and did the last two at 7:45 and 7:20. I was struggling to hold that last mile, and tailed him just a bit at the end. But did it and felt pretty good afterwards. Then went to Starbucks for good conversation, and may have picked up a crew for my 100 mile attempt. If it works out, great, but if not, I'm prepared for that also. But just the offer showed me what a great and spontaneous group these runners are.

8 comments:

Charlie said...

Good luck next weekend Maurice. I'll be looking forward to your race report.

Joel said...

Glad to hear you are still on track and might have a crew.

I wish I could be there. I'll be thinking about you

Joel

Dr. Marc and Tanya said...

Wish we could be there also, say HI to Angela Ivory for us. African American female who runs the 100 there every year 27-29 hour pace. Do GREAT!!
Marc

JenZen said...

OMG ice storms are brutal. We don't get them here in the swamp, but I remember them from growing up in West Texas. I'm NOT a fan of the cold. Great job on the run!!!

A Plain Observer said...

I'm sure the Starbucks time was the better part of the day. Sharing time with friends ranks higher at times like this.

Ryan V. said...

Good luck in Huntsville this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment on my blog earlier. That was very kind of you. I see you're thinking of doing a 100 miler? Awesome for you!

When I'm back near an internet connection, I'll have to read up on your training.

Anonymous said...

Hey bud,
Way to go!!! Keep up the running. Its great to see others as passionate for running as I am...I live my lifestyle also, on the run, R U ?

salmiler.com