Monday, June 8, 2009

Sooner State Games 1/2 Marathon


First, I don't want you to forget about my little quiz. Click here, and I'm adding three clues. One, it's a movie, two it was made in this century (21st), three, it's Sci-fi.
Saturday I had decided to run this 1/2 marathon. I wanted to see where I stood training wise, and see if I was heat acclimated. It was overcast, but very humid, hot, and windy. Hmmmm, I bet I could switch to the 5 or 10k. In fact, I would have had a chance to be top 3 in the 10, but I couldn't have known that, and besides, my goal was to see how I could do in a longer run. This could be a nice little race, but has had problems over the years. It was to have a few today also. We started, and as usual in a longer race, I started a bit slow. By mile one I started pulling my pace down to sub 8's. It felt good, and I felt like one I could sustain. I hadn't made the turn into the wind yet. Just after the 3.5 mile mark, we head into the wind. It's still early, so I don't feel too bad, but the problem here was there should have been an aid station around mile 4.5 - 5. On a cool day, this wouldn't have been a problem but today it was. So I had to make it to the 6.55 turn around for more aid. Then back to the 10k turn around for the next station, over 4 miles. I started walking about 30 seconds every mile after the turn around. But I must have had a lot of company because no one passed me (for good) in the 2nd half. With less than one mile to go this guy did pass me, but I found the strength to pass him back and run to the finish. My main goal here was to stay under 1:50 and I did, 1:49and change. Second in age group and lots of fluids. Which they ran out of at the finish line. They went to get more, but still not good.
Yesterday I had promised a friend to do 14 miles with him. So we did it, but neither of us could find out groove, and ended up doing it very slowly. Today I'm still dragging, but I don't think it's anything a day or two of recovery won't cure.

6 comments:

Willie said...

You're freakin killing me! I'm Googling the crap out of "Science fiction movies" and "love stories" and I got nothing!

Glad I didn't attempt the Games this year. Sounds bad. Great time though!

Edmond hills this weekend I think. You in?

A Plain Observer said...

I dont understand, I can not understand that a race be poorly organized. To not have water consistently on a hot day is unacceptable and to run out at the finish so soon, what about the ones who ran 2 hrs plus which is the biggest pack!-ok, here is the race director speaking. Sorry, I get carried away!

chris mcpeake said...

Congrats on the race. Bad organization tho.. Ran out of fluids, really no excuse for that kind of nonsense. I would have been pissed

JenZen said...

That's just dangerous to run out of fluids like that - especially as hot as it's been. Great job with your time and finish!

Have to think about the trivia question. My brain is buzzing...

DawnB said...

sorry to hear the fluid stations wasn't. especially on a day like that. congrats on meeting you goal of on under 1:50 nice job.

DawnB said...

I still have not clue to your quiz when are you going to tell the answer